Kaman HTK-1 (Helicopter)
The museum’s HTK-1 is on loan from the National Museum of Naval Aviation, Pensacola, Florida.
In 1950, at the same time as Kaman was working on the Marine Corps Observation Helicopter, the Company was awarded another contract by the Navy to produce a trainer helicopter. A trainer and utility helicopter with synchronized intermeshing rotors, it was designated the HTK-1, and was a refined version of the earlier K-225. After initial problems were cured, they were found too easy to fly to be good trainers. Twenty-nine of these HTK-1s were built between 1951 and 1953. Powered by a 240 hp Lycoming O-435-4 piston engine, they served with the Navy at Pensacola until 1957.